In this episode of The Franchise Manual Podcast we speak with Canadian attorney Joseph Adler and Alex Spiro on the topic of how to expand a franchise system into Canada while avoiding the common pitfalls that hinder many franchisors.
Segment 1: Get to know Joseph Adler
In segment one of this episode we spend a little time getting to know the person Joseph Adler. We learn a little about his childhood growing up on Hamilton, Ontario, his first job, and his pathway to law school.
Segment 2: Expanding a franchise into Canada
In segment 2 Joseph Adler outlines some of the common pitfalls that many non-Canadian franchisors experience when they attempt to expand their franchise system into Canada. The topics of discussion are:
- Maximize the U.S. market first – maintain domestic focus
- Ensure that your IP is protected
- Be proactive rather than reactive
- Ensure necessary supply chain – Import issues
- Market analysis – Canadian taste preferences
- “Canadianize” the FDD and Ops Manual
- The importance of engaging a Canadian franchise attorney
- Understanding the competition
- Finding the right franchisee
Segment 3: Quick Draw Questions
Segment 3 is a fun way to wind down the episode with quick, fun questions such as favorite movie, favorite book, etc. We find out what Joseph would do if he had $1 billion to make the world a better place. We also find out if this Toronto attorney is a closet spaghetti western fan.
This is a FANTASTIC episode and a MUST LISTEN if you have ever considered expanding your franchise system into Canada, or if you just want to get to know Joseph Adler a little more than you already do.