Angela Angela Coté of Cultivate Advisors, talks about Franchisee Compliance, or as she likes to call it, franchisee success. This is all about how to keep the franchisees operating under the franchise system standards.
Angela cut her teeth really early on in the world of franchising as the daughter of Max Voisin, founder of M&M Food Market. If you are listening from the U.S., you may not have heard of M&M but if you are from Canada, with about 500 locations in its prime, M&M Food Market is a BIG deal. She worked on both sides as both the franchisor and as a franchisee running three locations of her own.
Angela has been interviewed on shows such as Social Geek Radio, Franchising Rising Podcast, Tutor Doctor Podcast, and Own Up, Grow Up Podcast. She has been written about in multiple publications such as Global Franchise Magazine, Franchise Blast, Canadian Franchise Association, Douglas Magazine, The Franchise Voice Magazine, Franchise Canada, and a few more
|Angela Coté Intro
|Get to know Angela Coté
|Topic Segment – Franchisee Compliance
TOPICS DISCUSSED IN THIS EPISODE:
All franchisees should be as concerned about system-wide compliance as much as the franchisor because compliance to the system standards directly protects their investment.
Common reasons for lack of franchisee compliance are:
- Lack of buy-in
- Misunderstanding of why system standards exist
- Franchisor creates an “us vs them” mentality
- Poorly trained field consultants sometimes lack “soft skills” that are needed to manage the delicate relationship between franchisor and franchisee
How can a franchisor inspire franchisees to WANT to follow the system?
- Start the “system standards are good for your investment” education early in the relationship – pre-contract.
- Create and nurture a healthy “franchisees monitoring franchisees” system
- Regularly connect to the “Why” a franchisee became a franchisee in the first place. Remind them of their goals and how the system standards will help them achieve their personal goals
- Create easy and open opportunities for franchisees to collaborate with management
- Create an open and easy mechanism for franchisees to give feedback to the franchisor
- Utilize a mystery shopper service when it is needed
Angela Angela Coté
Cultivate Advisors www.cultivateadvisors.com